Thursday, April 03, 2008

For the last month my reading habits have basically been focused on four books. The first book I've been working on is The Bible. One of my New Year resolutions is to read the New Testament once every three months, for a grand total of four times. I don't know why, but I figure the first time I read through it I might see some new things and just read through it to get it done. The second time some more new things, but I already have the whole picture in mind so later scripture can influence my understanding of early scripture. Hind site is 20/20. Then the third/fourth times I read it I can really focus on some deep learning that hopefully will stick with me. Then next year I plan on working through the Old Testament. Not sure where things will go from there. Anyway, the second book I've been reading through is called Leading the Consumer Rebellion. It is about building communities of loyal customers who make a majority of their purchases online and how some simple concepts can save them money while still creating profit for everyone involved. Pretty exciting stuff to realize that we are on the verge of a new market place that has the potential to change the way every day business is done in America. I had planned on writing about some of the specifics of what I was reading, but my laziness got me. So, that might be some food for my posts over the next couple of days. The third book I actually ended up reading twice, just because it is the manliest book ever written. I'll even include a shot of the cover for you to prove how manly it is.OK, maybe not so manly, but still an incredible read. Its also pretty short so if you were to dedicate an afternoon to it then I think most people could knock it out. If not in one day easily two afternoons of dedicated reading time. Anyway, I'm sure I'll be writing about that at some point as well. The fourth book I spent the last month reading was called The Centurion Principles. It goes through history picking out military leaders who were above/beyond their time and their position. Some of them are examples of how to work with people or be direct and there are also a couple of how not to act. One of the 'how not to' guys is a general type from the civil war and every time things go wrong he blames it on the weather or not having enough men or the grass was wet or his tea had to much sugar and so on(naturally I exaggerate on this, but you get the idea). So, the example there is how you can be in charge, but you have to take command and use everything to your advantage, even the negative things that are happening around you. So, those are the four I was working on last month. This month, wow, I also have a couple of books I'm working through. One is about Robert E. Lee, another one is about training to run a marathon. Still another one called What to say when you talk to yourself and a fourth one(for if I finish the others) called Good to Great. I've had a book suggested to my by one of my mentors called The millionaire next door(or something like that) that I'm going to pick up in the next couple of week and give that a whirl in the future some time. So, what are you guys reading??????

No comments: